When I was in Junior High and my wallet was empty, I made my dad a bunch of cookies for his Christmas present. With ingredients that he and Mom had purchased! I was a smart one! I made some of his favorites: oatmeal (with nuts and raisins!), chocolate chip, pecan sandies, and these Old Fashioned Carrot Cookies.
This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click them and purchase something, I get a little commission. Thank you for your support.
Old Fashioned Carrot Cookies are soft cookies that have only seven ingredients. They are irresistible with the orange glaze!
Make them gluten-free!
I make gluten-free Old Fashioned Carrot Cookies using Bob's Red Mill 1:1 Gluten-free Baking Flour. The original recipe called for shortening which would also make them dairy-free, but I much prefer to use butter.
Of course, you can make Old Fashioned Carrot Cookies any size you want! I love using my small scoop to form them, though. It makes the the perfect size of cookie to accompany a cup of afternoon tea.
Orange Glaze for Old Fashioned Carrot Cookies
You'll be tempted to think there are no carrots and only oranges in these cookies after you put the orange glaze on them. Indeed, I think the carrots are only used for their moisture and color!
Although you could use bottled orange juice, the flavor is so delicious using the zest and juice of a fresh orange! The consistency should be spreadable, almost drippy. The orange I used was very juicy and even the juice from only half of it was too much! I had to add more powdered sugar to thicken it back up.
Have you been wondering if my dad ate all those cookies by himself? The answer is that he absolutely did not! With four boys in the house, he had lots of help and they were all gone by the end of Christmas day!
Other Recipes You Might Like:
Old Fashioned Carrot Cookies
- ¾ cup butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or a 1:1 gluten-free baking flour such as Bob's Red Mill
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cooked, mashed carrots
FOR THE GLAZE
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- zest of one orange
- juice of 1 orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Blend the butter and sugar, then add the eggs and mix well.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix to combine well, then add the cooked, mashed carrots.
- Drop by small spoonfuls onto the baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Glaze each cookie before serving.
FOR THE GLAZE
- Add the zest of the orange to the sugar. Using a whisk, add the orange juice a little at a time until the consistency is spreadable, but still a bit drippy.