Caprese is one of my favorite salads in the summer. Fresh garden tomatoes pair so deliciously with fresh mozzarella and basil and are the taste of summer. For appetizers or party food, converting a full Caprese Salad to Caprese Bites on picks is a fantastic way to go! It eliminates the need for forks and you can't help but getting the tomato, cheese, AND basil in your mouth at one time. Score!
This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click them and purchase something, I get a little commission. Thank you for your support.Jump to Recipe
I cut the tomatoes in half lengthwise and choose a small size of the fresh mozzarella if it's available. I think it's called "ovaltini", but I've also seen some called "pearl". If you can't find the small size, simply cut a large ball of mozzarella into squares about the size of the tomatoes.
To start, drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar (if using it) on a platter, then sprinkle salt on top of it. See PRO TIPS below for the reason!
I use these one-ended toothpicks for Caprese Bites on Picks because they are useful for so many things in the kitchen! However, there are lots of fun party picks to choose from. If you are throwing a themed party or just want something festive, find a fun toothpick!
Skewer a piece of mozzarella, then a piece of fresh basil (it doesn't have to be a whole leaf, but rather a piece just about the size of the tomato halves and mozzarella), then a half of a cherry tomato.
As I skewer the three ingredients, I place them on the platter that is drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Pro Tips for Caprese Bites on Picks
- Putting the oil and vinegar on the platter rather than drizzling after putting the skewers on it keeps me from accidentally pouring on the toothpicks and soiling my guests' hands as they pick them up.
- Cutting the tomatoes in half and put them cut side down on the toothpick last keeps them standing upright rather than falling over!
A platter full of these colorful Caprese Bites is always a welcome addition to any party spread!
Other appetizers you might like:
- Bacon Jalapeno Poppers
- Crabcakes with Roasted Red Pepper Aioli
- Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus with Balsamic Drizzle
Caprese Bites on Picks
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1 8-ounce container of fresh small mozzarella the pearl size, about the size of cherry tomatoes
- fresh basil leaves cut to fit the size of the tomatoes and mozzarella
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar optional in my opinion!
- salt and pepper to taste
- Drizzle olive oil and vinegar on a platter and sprinkle salt and pepper over it.
- Using the toothpicks, skewer a half of a tomato first, a piece of basil leaf next, then a mozzarella ball. Make sure you've bought the pearls.
- Arrange on a platter, et voila! So simply, you have a beautiful appetizer or party platter.