A pasta dinner is always satisfying and even more so when it comes together quickly and in one skillet! Sausage, Chard, & Tomato Pasta cooks up in less than 30 minutes and ticks all the boxes of taste and nutrition.
This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click them and purchase something, I get a little commission. Thank you for your support.
An Italian method
I follow a fair amount of cooks on social media that live in Italy. Some are Italian and some are expats, but one thing they all do is make pastas in one pan. A little olive oil, some garlic, some veggies, and finally the pasta. Here in the US, we tend to call these meals "skillet dinners", but whatever you call them, just call ME when they are ready! Yum.
Step by step
The sauce starts with Italian sausage and I get it going before starting the pasta water boiling. This makes it so that both the sauce and the pasta will be ready at about the same time. Cook the sausage till it is almost done, then add the onions and allow it to cook for 10-15 minutes. Then finally add the garlic to cook about a minute.
Add the chopped tomatoes and chard and cook it for about 10 minutes, covered. The tomatoes will get juicy and the chard will get wilty.
A step that I missed photographing is adding the cream. You only need about a half cup, but be sure to add some of the sauce to it first to warm it up so it doesn't break when you stir it in. A curdled cream is a gross cream!
What kind of pasta?
I recommend spaghetti or linguine for this recipe. We eat gluten-free pasta and love the Jovial brand imported from Italy.
To finish Sausage, Chard, & Tomato Pasta, lift the noodles out of the water and put them directly into the skillet. Stir, coating the noodles with the sauce. If extra liquid is needed, add a bit of the pasta water to the mixture.
Sprinkle it with fresh basil and freshly grated parmiggiano-reggiano cheese. I vote for serving it straight from the bowl!
Other recipes you might like:
If you try this recipe and enjoy it, please leave a comment below and a star rating. Also, if you are on Instagram, post a photo and tag me @tammycirceocheznous so that I can see your delicious dish!
Sausage, Chard, & Tomato Pasta
- 1 pound spaghetti or linguine (for gluten-free, I like the Jovial brand.)
- 1 pound Italian sausage I like it spicy!
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 bunch Swiss chard stems discarded and leaves chopped
- 3 Roma tomatoes chopped
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup fresh basil julienned
- Parmesan cheese grated
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat a large, wide pot, or deep skillet over medium heat. Cook the sausage till it is starting to brown, then add the onion. Cook for 10-15 minutes till the onion is getting soft. Then add the garlic and cook another 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and the chard and cook covered until the tomatoes render their juices and the chard is wilted, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir some of the sauce into the cream to warm it up, then pour it all in the sauce and stir to mix. If more liquid is needed, add some pasta water.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the sauce. Stir to coat the pasta. Top with basil and parmiggiano-reggiano. Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply