I've been making these Chipotle Chicken Nachos for almost 20 years! When you need a quick party platter, a dinner that doesn't take much thought, or a snack to accompany movie night, this is the go-to recipe!
This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click them and purchase something, I get a little commission. Thank you for your support.
The sauce is simply sauteed onions, chipotle peppers, spices, tomato paste, and vinegar. The chipotles can be spicy, but of course, you can control the spiciness with how much you add. The vinegar is essential to keep it fresh, and the cumin seeds and oregano round out the whole.
What kind of chicken to use for Chipotle Chicken Nachos
It's easy to get a roasted chicken from the store and pull the meat off! You'll have plenty and probably some leftover.
It's also easy to roast a Leave-it-Alone Roast Chicken for dinner and use the leftover (presuming there ARE any!) for Chipotle Chicken Nachos. I often make TWO roast chickens just to be sure I have some leftovers.
You can also poach, grill, bake, or broil any chicken you'd like to make these nachos! It's just easier if you already have leftovers!
After you cook the sauce a bit, add the chopped or shredded chicken and mix it together very well. Let it cook together till the sauce thickens.
How to build Chicken Chipotle Nachos
Put a layer of chips on the bottom of a baking dish and top it with grated cheese.
The chicken goes on next. You can spread it out as thinly or thickly as you wish.
Top the chicken with more cheese. Because who can have too much cheese!?
Put it in the oven for 3-5 minutes until the cheese is browned and bubbly.
How to serve Chipotle Chicken Nachos
I usually serve it straight from the pan ... whether that's a baking dish or large baking sheet. Top it with cilantro and serve pickled jalapenos, sour cream, and lime wedges on the side for people to add as they wish. I also highly recommend Avocado Tomatillo Salsa or Cool and Classy Guacamole!
Other recipes you might like:
Chipotle Chicken Nachos
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-2 canned chipotle peppers
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 cups roasted chicken chopped bite size / shredded works, too (See Notes!)
- Tortilla chips to line the baking dish
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese Can mix cheddar and Monterrey Jack
- cilantro for garnish
- Pickled jalapenos, sour cream, lime wedges, avocado for serving
- Brown the onion in the oil.
- Add the cumin seeds and oregano. Stir till fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the chipotle chiles, tomato paste, and vinegar with ½ cup of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer gently, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and stir until the chicken is heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Arrange the tortilla chips on the pan of your choice. For a larger crowd, use a large baking sheet. For just you and your favorite meal partner, use a 9x13 baking dish.
- Layer some cheese on the chips and top with the chicken mixture. Add another layer of chips and cheese,
- Bake at 450°F until the cheese bubbles, about 3 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa, and cilantro.