This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click them and purchase something, I get a little commission. Thank you for your support.
The autumn season brings a plethora of squashes and pumpkins to our tables. We tend to think about using them in soups more than anything, but there are so many ways to enjoy them. Roasted Delicata Squash Salad is a simple way to eat delicata squash along with several other flavors. This salad also includes pecans, cranberries, goat cheese, and fried sage leaves with a sherry vinaigrette ... so how can you go wrong?
How to prepare the delicata squash
Delicata squash is really convenient because as opposed to many other fall squashes, it is pretty easy to cut through. Cut it in half lengthwise, scrape out the seeds, and cut the halves in about ½-inch slices. There's no need to peel the squash.
To roast the delicata squash, put the slices in a single layer on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt, pepper, and sage. Bake at 425F for about 15 minutes.
Prepare the add-ins
The add-ins are cranberries, goat cheese, and toasted pecans.
To toast the pecans, put the chopped pecans in a dry skillet over medium-high heat. Keep tossing until they start browning. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
A finishing touch for the Roasted Delicata Squash Salad
... fried sage leaves. I'm telling you, folks, frying fresh sage leaves and putting salt on them is the way to go! Frying them brings out so much of the sage flavor, not to mention how crunchy they become!
How to serve Roasted Delicata Squash Salad
Make a sherry vinaigrette and toss the baby greens in it. Lay the greens on a platter, then top with toasted pecans, dried cranberries, and bits of goat cheese. Layer the roasted delicata squash along the top. Allow about three slices per person. Finally, tuck those beautifully fried sage leaves in and dig in.
Other recipes you might like:
If you try this recipe and enjoy it, please leave a comment below and a star rating. Also, if you are on Instagram, post a photo and tag me @tammycirceocheznous so that I can see your delicious dish!
Roasted Delicata Squash Salad
- ½ delicata squash
- ½ teaspoon ground sage
- olive oil to drizzle on squash slices
- salt and pepper to season
- 2.5 ounces mixed lettuce greens about 75 grams
- ¼ cup chopped pecans toasted (Instructions are below)
- 10-12 fresh sage leaves fried (Instructions are below)
- 2 Tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1 ounce fresh goat cheese
FOR THE SHERRY VINAIGRETTE
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon sherry vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt, to season
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Scoop the seeds out of the squash and cut into ½-inch slices. Lay the slices on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, drizzle with some olive oil, then sprinkle salt, pepper, and ground sage to season. Place the baking sheet in the oven and roast for about 15 minutes until the slices are soft and slightly turning color.
- While the squash is roasting, put a dry skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pecans and toast till they are fragrant and just starting to turn color. Remove to a plate to let them cool. Wipe out the skillet with a paper towel.
- To the same skillet, add just enough oil to coat the bottom. Heat over medium-high heat, then add the sage leaves in a single layer. When they crisp up and start to turn color, remove them to a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with salt to season. This takes all of about 2 minutes!
- Whisk all of the ingredients for the vinaigrette together, then pour over the greens to coat. Use as much or as little as you prefer. Place the dressed greens on a platter.
- Sprinkle the toasted pecans and cranberries over the greens. Crumble the goat cheese over the top. Lay the roasted delicata squash on top, then tuck the fried sage leaves in.
Leave a Reply