This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click them and purchase something, I get a little commission. Thank you for your support.
I usually make fried rice with whatever I have in the fridge, but sometimes, I make sure to have shrimp and pineapple on hand so that I can make this Shrimp & Pineapple Fried Rice for something a little more special. It's got a little spice to it, but the sweetness from the pineapple is a pleasant counter to it.
What kind of rice to use for Shrimp & Pineapple Fried Rice?
My best answer is "leftover rice"! You really can use whatever kind of rice is your favorite, but I usually have basmati in the pantry and sometimes jasmine. I recommend cooking extra when you make some for another dinner so that you have it already cooked when you're ready to make Shrimp & Pineapple Fried Rice. If you don't have any leftover, it's a good idea to cook the rice earlier in the day to give it time to cool down a bit.
Prepare the shrimp
Peel and devein 12-15 shrimp and toss them with a bit of fish sauce. Let them sit while you prepare the vegetables.
As with all stir-fries, it works out best to cut all of the vegetables, measure out all of the spices and sauces, and get everything ready to cook before firing up the stove.
How to choose a pineapple
Look for a pineapple that looks a bit golden on the outside. It should feel just a bit soft when you press it with your thumb and it will smell fragrant.
How to make Shrimp & Pineapple Fried Rice
- Cook the shrimp with a bit of garlic and remove it to a platter.
- Add the shallot and the rest of the garlic to the wok. Then the carrots and red pepper.
- Add the pineapple and cooked rice.
- Finally, add the soy sauce (or soy sauce substitute), fish sauce, curry powder, and red pepper flakes.
How to serve Shrimp & Pineapple Fried Rice
Put the shrimp back in with the rice, add some toasted cashews, and sprinkle some cilantro over.
Other recipes you might like:
If you try this recipe and enjoy it, please leave a comment below and a star rating. Also, if you are on Instagram, post a photo and tag me @tammycirceocheznous so that I can see your delicious dish!
Shrimp & Pineapple Fried Rice
- 3 cups cooked rice cooled
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 12-15 medium-large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 shallots chopped
- 1 medium carrot cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- ½ pineapple cored and cubed
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce or soy sauce alternative such as tamari or coconut aminos
- 2 Tablespoons fish sauce divided
- pinch red pepper flakes or more if you can handle it!
- ½ cup cashews toasted
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- If you have a wok, you should use it. If not, a large skillet will do.
- Put the cashews in the wok or skillet and toast for 2-3 minutes until they start taking on some color.
- Make sure the shrimp are dry, then toss them with about a tablespoon of fish sauce. Leave them sitting while you prepare the vegetables.
- Heat a tablespoon or so of oil in the wok or skillet and add one clove of garlic. Saute for 15-30 seconds making sure not to brown it, then add the shrimp. Cook just until pink, then remove them from the wok and set aside.
- Add a little more oil to the wok and saute the rest of the garlic and the shallots for 45 seconds to a minute. Add the carrots and cook till softened, about a minute. Add the red bell pepper and cook for another minute.
- Add the cooked rice along with the pineapple. Stir to mix everything together and to break up any chunks of rice. Add the curry powder, soy sauce (or substitute), red pepper flakes, and the rest of the fish sauce.
- Add the cooked shrimp back in. Cook for an additional minute or so to warm the shrimp.
- Sprinkle the cashews and cilantro across the top and serve immediately.
Leave a Reply