When the weather is warm and you need a cooling drink, whip up this Strawberry Mint Agua Fresca. Pour it over ice, find a nice shade tree, and cool off!
What is an agua fresca?
Simply put, it translates from Spanish as "fresh water". Agua fresca is a Mexican drink made from water and blended fruit, tea leaves, vegetables and sometimes rice ... you can combine just about any combination and it will be delicious. It’s lightly sweetened and often served over ice.
In this particular agua fresca, I used seasonal, organic strawberries and the apple mint pruned from my garden. I always recommend organic vegetables and fruits in order to avoid pesticides and herbicides. This is important for everyone, but especially anyone with autoimmune diseases, such as myself with Hashimoto's, because of the way they disrupt the endocrine system.
While agua frescas are often sweetened with agave nectar (typical ingredient), I choose to use maple syrup. You can certainly use what you like.
Blend strawberries, mint leaves, lime juice, maple syrup, and water in the blender, then let it hang out in the fridge for a while to get really chill.
How to serve Strawberry Mint Agua Fresca
You can use whatever glass you want, but I think a straight-sided pint canning jar is just perfect. Fill it with ice, then pour it ⅔ full with the strawberry mint puree. Top it off with sparkling water and garnish with lime slices, whole strawberries, and some mint sprigs. Beautiful, refreshing, and delicious.
Other recipes you might like:
Strawberry Mint Agua Fresca
- 1 pound strawberries hulled, and whole strawberries for serving
- ¼ cup mint leaves plus sprigs for serving
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- Sparkling water, ice, and lime slices for serving
- Put the hulled strawberries, mint leaves, lime juice, maple syrup, and cold water in a blender until smooth. Transfer the puree to a pitcher, cover, and chill until cold, about an hour.
- Put ice in glasses, then fill ⅔ full with the Strawberry Mint puree. Top it off with sparkling water and garnish with mint sprigs, lime slices, and whole strawberries.⅔