Jacket potatoes are the UK way of referring to what we Americans call baked potatoes. But don't you think "jacket potatoes" sounds more fun? Oiled & Salted Jacket Potatoes have a crispy, salty skin that is so delicious.
This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click them and purchase something, I get a little commission. Thank you for your support.
How to prepare the potatoes for baking
Start with well-scrubbed, large russet potatoes and prick them a few times with just the tip of a paring knife or with a fork. This will allow some steam to escape which gives the potato a wonderful fluffiness inside. Although I've never experienced it, I've read that it's possible for a potato to explode while baking if it's not pricked first. The steam builds up and "kablooey"!
Drizzle a high-smoke point oil, such as avocado oil, over all of the potatoes.
Then rub the oil over all of the skins.
Generously sprinkle salt all over the skins.
Bake right on the oven rack!
Then put the potatoes directly on the oven rack in a preheated 425°F oven. No foil needed! These potatoes are sizable ... larger than my fist ... and they need about an hour to bake. The bake time totally depends on how large the potatoes are. You'll just poke them with the tip of a knife or a toothpick to see it they are soft all the way to the middle. Another useful tool is a cake tester.
How to serve Oiled & Salted Jacket Potatoes
Oh my goodness! The possibilities are endless! Of course, butter is always a great idea and I like sour cream. Another good choice is Boursin cheese. It's a French herbed cheese and amazing on jacket potatoes. Chives and green onions are delicious as well. And chopped bacon, maybe some steamed broccoli. Another amazing option is to serve Classic American Chili on it! And some people enjoy pulled pork with BBQ sauce.
Other recipes you might like:
If you try this recipe and enjoy it, please leave a comment below and a star rating. Also, if you are on Instagram, post a photo and tag me @tammycirceocheznous so that I can see your delicious dish!
Oiled & Salted Jacket Potatoes
- large Russet baking potatoes However many you need!
- high-smoke point oil such as avocado oil
- sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Scrub the potatoes very well, then drizzle oil over each one. Rub the oil over the skin of each potato. Take care not to use too much ... you don't want it to be dripping off.
- Generously sprinkle sea salt over each potato.
- Place the potatoes directly on the oven rack, evenly spaced apart. Roast for about an hour. To test for doneness, insert the tip of a knife into the largest potato to be sure it is soft all the way to the middle.
- Serve with butter, sour cream, Boursin cheese, chives or green onions, chopped bacon, steamed broccoli ... or even with Classic American Chili!
Leave a Reply