This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click them and purchase something, I get a little commission. Thank you for your support.
The easiest, crispiest, and most delicious accompaniment to almost any meal are these Oven Roasted Potatoes. If mashing potatoes or frying French fries are too much trouble, these potatoes will fill the bill. They are fluffy and soft inside, but crispy on the outside. Just dice, season, and pop them into a hot oven for a bit while you make the rest of your meal.
What kind of potatoes should I use to make Oven Roasted Potatoes?
While you can use whatever potato you have if you're hungry enough, I highly recommend a firm potato like a red one in order to guarantee a bit more success.
In my opinion, Yukon Golds are great for mashed potatoes because they are creamy and have thin skins. But when they are roasted, I find that they don't get as crispy so I prefer a firm red potato or even fingerlings.
SO ... red-skinned, firm potatoes are my choice. Leave the skin on and dice them into about half-inch pieces.
Season them with olive oil, garlic powder, paprika (smoked is a treat!), oregano, salt, and pepper.
A word of warning
Don't be tempted to season the potatoes before you are ready to put them in the oven. Potatoes have a lot of moisture and the salt draws it out even more. If you wait until right before you are ready to roast them, the salt will season the potatoes rather than drain them of the fluffiness under the crispiness.
How to roast potatoes in the oven
I always use parchment paper to line a baking sheet. I've put them straight onto a baking sheet before and they stick like crazy! All of the crispy gets left on the baking sheet and the crispy is what I'm here for!
Make sure the potatoes are in one layer as much as possible and roast those babies at 450°F for 40-45 minutes. Or until they are browned and crispy.
How to serve Oven Roasted Potatoes
Almost every time we grill, I make a batch of Oven Roasted Potatoes. I always make extra, too, to warm up in a skillet the next morning to go with our eggs. You can serve them with any sauce for dipping, if you like ... ketchup, ranch dressing, BBQ sauce ... or you can let them absorb all the juices from your steak or chicken!
Other recipes you might like:
Oven Roasted Potatoes
- 2½-3 pounds red potatoes about 10 potatoes
- 3 Tablespooons olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoons paprika I love to use smoked paprika!
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Dice the potatoes into ½-inch pieces and put the pieces in a large bowl.
- Add the oil, spices, and salt and pepper and mix well, coating all the pieces of potato.
- Spread the potatoes on the prepared baking sheet in one layer. Roast for 40-45 minutes until the potatoes are browned and crispy.
- Serve as a side dish with grilled, roasted, or braised meats. Serve for breakfast with eggs and bacon. Serve with ketchup, ranch dressing, or BBQ sauce, if desired.